Sunday, September 17, 2006

When I metal detect I dig everything...

The modern Metal Detectors often have different ways of identifying targets. Some have different sounds, some have target id meters, it all depends of the model of detector.

I am not a coin shooter. I hunt caches, relics and troves.

A person should not rely on target id meters because sometimes a pull tab signal will mean a gold ring. Target id's are not fool proof. Do not totally rely on them to tell you 100% of the time what is in the ground. They also loose accuracy when the object is more than 6-8 inches or more in the ground.

But the reason I dig all signals is because already know what I am looking for and I know I am in the right area to find the object.

If I am looking for a cache I do not even pull out my detector until I know where I am going to look. This comes through research and understanding people. That is to big of an area to go over here but in later posts I will explain that in detail.

The point is when I pull out my detector it is only to search certain areas. A foil signal may make other people ignore the signal, not me. I will dig the foil and then check the hole. My cache could be under the foil. It has happened before. The foil totally masks the signal of the cache. I can't afford that mistake.

The same principle applies for relic hunting and trove hunting.

The price I have to pay is digging 50 times more junk than most metal detector users. No guts no glory folks.


No comments: