Sunday, September 17, 2006

Starting a Civil War project. The adventure begins...

I am working on a new Civil War project. This is one of the two Civil War adventures I am working on now.

This one is for underwater relic surveying and recovery.

I went down to the general area yesterday. I was trying to see the conditions I would be working and to try to solve any logistical problems that I might have.

This area is on private property with owner permission.

My original idea was to do a Magnet drag of the waters floor. As I was testing it out, it because clear to me that there was no way the Magnet would connect to anything metal. The bottom is so muddy and soft any item that had any weight would have sank deeply into the soft mud.

I also saw that my visibility underwater would be zero.

I will try to solve the magnet problem in time. However it occurred to me the bottom of the water was so soft I could use a wire probe to look for larger items. The wire would go in deep into the mud and a clinking sound would tell me if I hit a target.

This is going to be one wet project and it seems it will take more planning and experimentation to make it work.

ericwt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

A good quality fish finder can see through soft bottom and define any harder areas or objects underneath it. I used to use this when fishing s shallow lake. Hard bottom areas had silted over but the fish still held by them. using a bottom line fish finder for shallow water I was able to see gravel, hardpack, and even tree stumps buried under the silt. Just a thought to help you in your search.

WoodyGA