Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lets expand your Treasure Horizons

So many people think in terms of just using metal detectors in treasure hunting. Although the metal detector is important and should be mastered. The real secret key is research and understanding people, and the ability to network with other people.

Want to find a cache but do not have a clue where to look. In my little town, that I live in has a history book for its 100 year celebration. I went to the library when I moved here to read and study it. From this book I learned about when the town was founded and the events that took place when it was just a few people. I learned of the Civil War and what happened later on as the area formed into a community.

What did I learn about cache locations from studying a dusty book?

I learned when the first bank opened in the town. Any house that was built before the bank opened had a reason to cache money. There was no safe place to put it.

I learned what the great depression did to the local people. Any house that was around or built within 20 years after 1929 is a possible cache location because they no longer trusted banks.

I learned who the early politicians and moonshiners were. I learned about early sheriffs and merchants and all kinds of interesting things. All of these people had a reason to stash cash.

I could see photos of the early days of the town. There were family names and historical houses all in this book. It had early maps and social events. Some of the houses and streets still exist.

I can use the history as a reason to get to know the current owners. People love to talk about their stuff. Suddenly they are taking me through there houses and gabbing all about themselves and the house. Listen and look around. Think treasure but scan the house for clues about common interests that you might have with them. The idea is to create a friend.

I have more leads than I can handle. My town has about 3000 or so people.

Am I over simplifying things? Of course I am. Are there other techniques that people more shy than I am can use? You bet there is. But people skills are important in this game and you will find it easier to treasure hunt if you can be nice to people.

No comments: